EFET (The Hellenic Food Authority) said it was told of potential contamination by the Hellenic Police.
It advised consumers to avoid certain Coca-Cola, Delta and ‘Παριζάκι Υφαντής’ products in Athens and Thessaloniki from 20-25 December.
Supermarket chains which stock the products have been told to remove them from sale.
Potentially affected products
Single pack Coca-Cola and Coca-Cola Light both in a 1.5L plastic bottle are affected.
‘Παριζάκι Υφαντής’ 500g and 350g and ‘ΔΕΛΤΑ’ Delta Food, member of the Vivartia Group, fresh full milk 1L in a blue carton are also involved.
Coca-Cola Hellenic Bottling Company said its team in Greece was informed on 18 December of the alleged product tampering in Athens and Thessaloniki.
"As a precaution, and following the advice of the police and the Hellenic Food Authority (EFET), we have temporarily removed these two products from the outlets concerned," the firm told FoodQualityNews.
"A police investigation is ongoing and our local team will continue to support the authorities with this. The safety of our products and consumers is our number one priority."
The Vivartia Group said it was complying and co-operating with the relevant authorities who had issued specific guidelines to resolve the situation.
The organisation responsible for the threat said it had injected the products with hydrochloric acid and would re-place them on store shelves from 20-24 December in different supermarket chains in Athens and Thessaloniki.
Action was taken under the banner of ‘Green Nemesis Act 3’ to coincide with Christmas.
EFET action and past warnings
EFET said it was doing ‘everything possible’ to protect consumers from such incidents.
The agency added the companies have begun removing products from the market.
It is not the first time Coca-Cola and Delta have been the subject of such threats with their products targeted in a similar incident last year.
Coca-Cola and Nesta were also forced to recall items in 2013.
Hydrochloric acid is used in the production of chlorides, fertilizers and dyes and in the photographic textile and rubber industries, according to the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
It is corrosive to the eyes, skin and mucous membranes.
Acute (short-term) oral exposure may cause corrosion of the mucous membranes, esophagus and stomach and dermal contact may produce severe burns, ulceration and scarring.