EBRD supports Mongolia’s Suu Milk dairy expansion

By Jim Cornall contact

- Last updated on GMT

Suu Milk sources its milk supplies from 19 collection points in the country, and has more than 400 employees. Pic: ©Getty Images/Katiekk2
Suu Milk sources its milk supplies from 19 collection points in the country, and has more than 400 employees. Pic: ©Getty Images/Katiekk2

Related tags: Ebrd, mongolia, Milk

The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) has given a loan to Mongolian dairy company Suu JSC (Suu Milk) for the expansion of its business.

The five-year loan for the equivalent of $12m comes under the EBRD’s Risk Sharing Facility (RSF) with Xacbank, a Mongolian banking and financial services company.

The EBRD, which will share risk on individual loans made by Xacbank, will provide up to 65% of the loan amount, while Xacbank will contribute the remaining 35%.

The investment will finance the expansion of Suu Milk’s production facilities, including its milk processing plant. It will help procure new curd production equipment, milk collection and delivery trucks, a new ice-cream production line and a new warehouse for raw materials and finished goods.

The loan will also help Suu Milk improve raw milk collection logistics from more than 2,500 nomad herders, half of which are women.

Suu Milk is the oldest dairy company in Mongolia, and was founded in 1958. It sources its milk supplies from 19 collection points in the country, and has more than 400 employees.

The EBRD works in Mongolia to support building a diverse economy by developing the private sector and supporting infrastructure improvements. The bank has invested more than €1.6bn ($1.83bn) in almost 100 projects in the country since it started operations in the country in 2006.

Related topics: Markets, Emerging Markets, Fresh Milk

comments

Post your comment

We will not publish your email address on the website

These comments have not been moderated. You are encouraged to participate with comments that are relevant to our news stories. You should not post comments that are abusive, threatening, defamatory, misleading or invasive of privacy. For the full terms and conditions for commenting see clause 7 of our Terms and Conditions ‘Participating in Online Communities’. These terms may be updated from time to time, so please read them before posting a comment. Any comment that violates these terms may be removed in its entirety as we do not edit comments. If you wish to complain about a comment please use the "REPORT ABUSE" button or contact the editors.

Follow us

Products

View more

Webinars